This community is moderated by dazeydevyne, karmen and pickleboot. If you need to contact us for any reason, please do so by commenting on the public post in spo_mods (preferable) or emailing to: firstname.lastname@example.org - not to our personal accounts. (PLEASE STOP CONTACTING US AFTER YOU REQUEST MEMBERSHIP. We have a high volume of people joining and sometimes it's hard to catch up. It may take a while to get to your request. Please be patient.)
For directions on how to join the community, please read the very end of this page. We also ask that you read this post as well!
Rules and Guidelines for Playing Nice in the Community
Do not stalk or harass anyone featured in this community, online or in real life. It sucks to see animals in difficult situations, but we are not internet vigilantes. Anyone discovered harassing anyone featured in this community will be banned immediately. This includes, unfortunately, the calling of proper authorities. I realize this goes against the nature of pro-animal welfare, but this is a violation of Livejournal's TOS.
1. Membership is by request only. If you are an established LJ user, your request will very likely be accepted. This is to weed out trolls, featured Stupid Pet Owners, and those who set up new LJ accounts for the sole purpose of posting inappropriate things in this community.
If you have been rejected from the community and you're unsure why, contact the moderators and explain your situation. We may reconsider.
2. When posting about a Stupid Pet Owner, do not link directly to personal journal entries. Using the lj user tag is fine, as is linking to community posts.
2b. Never include personal contact info in a post, regardless of the ease in finding the information online. This includes, but is not limited to: phone numbers, email addresses, physical addresses.
3. Don't stalk people in their personal journals. Meaning: Don't follow a link to the journal of a stupid pet owner or a community member and harrass/flame them in their journal. While we can't police all of LJ, if something like this is brought to our attention and is the result of a posting in this community, we may opt to warn the community member responsible, or we may just place a ban on that member.
4. Be polite to each other. You don't have to love others in the community, but treat them as human beings - with respect. We don't expect you all to get along all of the time, but flame wars won't be tolerated.
5. Any posting of obscene (ie, unrelated to the community topic, or meant to upset community members) materials will get you banned without warning and turned into LJ Abuse.
6. If you have something to post but are concerned because of potential drama, either reconsider posting it, put it under a "friends" cut, or ask one of the moderators to post it. We may or may not agree to the latter, depending on our mood and/or the story.
7. While it isn't against the rules to post about other members of the SPO community, seriously give it thought before doing so. If it's a blatantly obvious act of stupidity, then go right ahead. If the poster is a regular (poster or commentor), try to see if you may be blowing the story out of proportion. If you do, prepare for members of the community to defend.
8. While we cannot police every community and journal, we ask that you don't go causing drama if someone you know has been featured in this community. Someone may have perceived a posting in another community to qualify as a stupid pet owner and that is their right to.
9. If you have been featured in this community as a stupid pet owner, don't expect to join up and start causing trouble. We are usually inclined to turn down applicants if we know you've been featured here. We may make an exception if you act reasonable and desire to explain your situation, which may have been taken out of context.
10. There are many topics that are discussed here which the majority of people consider stupid antics. If you happen to disagree, we ask that you refrain from causing a flame war because of this. If you desire to state your differing opinion, feel free to, but if you cause a flame war, you'll be banned. Some possible examples of these topics are: declawing, tail docking, ear cropping, outdoor cats, raw feeding, crate training. Be aware that members span the globe and may have opinions based on what is common in their country.
11. If you are a member and you're receiving comments either from a person that you posted about, or one of their friends, and you're finding the comments are unwanted or harassing, please let one of us know if you want it looked at by a moderator.
12. DO NOT DISABLE OR DELETE COMMENTS! If you can't take the potential heat that may be caused by a post you make, then don't post it. If you disable comments, the post will be removed. Depending on your status as a member in the community and/or the contents of the post, you may be warned or flat out banned. Continuing to post with comments disabled will guarantee you banishment from the community. Along the same lines, if you post a comment and don't like how the argument turned out or don't like what someone says and start deleting comments, expect to be banned for it. Think twice about what you post first. If you don't like what someone said, feel free to ignore it, they have just as much right to give their opinion on your post in a public community. If it's harassing, contact us about it.
13. Tattlers will be banned! Do not go and inform someone that they've been featured here. While we cannot police this, we do have ways of finding out, and if it's brought to our attention and we know who it is, we will take action. There's enough drama in the community without running out to make more! For clarification, this includes spreading the information off of LiveJournal as well.
14. If you want to advertise your LJ community, please contact us first! In general, we support / endorse the communities listed below because they are species specific and provide help in caretaking of pets. We're usually pretty lenient on advertisements for things outside LJ like shelters though.
15. If you have large pictures or any videos, post them behind an LJ cut. This is considered good etiquette as not everyone wants to have pictures loading up on their friend's page. This will be *strongly* encouraged and enforced if the pictures/videos have graphic images in them. Also, please cut graphic stories if they are disturbing with a good warning in the cut. Yes, this is a rant/vent community, but some members use it to unwind, not read more things that upset them. The majority of the members here are animal lovers and don't need to be shocked about what types of cruelty are out there. Trust me, you'll get responses even with a cut.
16. If you have a problem with another user and they're breaking rules, feel free to point it out to them if you want to. If the situation continues to escalate, we ask that you bring it to a moderator's attention and let us handle it. Do not turn it into a flame war please.
17. This community is against breedism. Breedism is defined as discrimination against a specific breed of animal. It is most commonly seen among the bully breeds such as Pit Bulls, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Rottweiler, etc. Do not make blanket negative statements about specific breeds or types of pets. There are lovers of all types of animals here as well as loving responsible owners of discriminated breeds. Remember, it's not the breed, it's the owner that makes a bad animal. You won't be banned for making breedist comments, but do not expect community members to be receptive to such comments or the moderators to support you. Continuous flame wars for such comments may lead to bannings.
18. Keep any colour/racial/cultural references out of your post and comments! History in this community has proven time and again that all it does is lead to arguing and squawking about racism, even if the comment was meant entirely for descriptive purposes. Does it matter what colour the person is? Nope. See this post for more details..
19. And finally, if you have been harassed by someone in the community or have a problem with comments, posts, etc: Report any problems or harassment to the moderators but *please* provide evidence! We cannot do anything based on "he said, she said" reports. This means saving copies of comments, providing links to comments, posts, or screenshots. Give us as much information as possible so we can make an informed decision about what to do and deal with the situation! We're sorry if someone went to your LJ and left rude comments, but if you deleted all the comments and don't have email copies, we can't do anything.
To Join: At the very top of the community's User Info page, you will see where it says: To join this community, click here. All you need to do is click the "click here" link - and we'll do the rest. Please do not email asking us to "just let you in", nobody will receive special treatment, so you must click the link and join like everyone else.
Pet Care Resources!! (last updated Sept 20, 2009)
Below are links to websites and Livejournal communities that are considered good resources for pet information. These lists were compiled by the members of this community, and are supported by those members. This community itself claims no affiliation with any website or community. If you notice a link is not working, or would like to contribute to the lists, please contact one of the mods through the community email listed above.
The list categories are alphabetized, with the exception of cats and dogs being listed near the top of each section. The ordering of the links and communities in the list does not imply favouritism and was simply put together randomly.